Dental offices like to throw around the phrase, “cosmetic dentistry” a lot. Unfortunately, while the expression is used commonly in our industry, many patients don’t know exactly what it means and why finding a good cosmetic dentist is important.
We wanted to change that, so we created this blog post to teach you about this very important field of dentistry.
What Is Cosmetic Dentistry?
Cosmetic dentistry is dentistry aimed at improving the appearance of your teeth and smile. Typically, cosmetic dentistry procedures are elective, although occasionally, some cosmetic procedures offer restorative benefits as well.
Cosmetic Dentistry Covers A Number Of Different Procedures, Including:
- Professional teeth whitening – Professional teeth whitening leaves you with a whiter, brighter smile—often by as much as eight shades. At our office, we’re proud to use Phillips Zoom whitening and advanced blue LED technology for the best results.
- Porcelain veneers – Porcelain veneers are used to improve the look of damaged, stained, or crooked teeth. Veneers are made of ultra-thin porcelain, and they’re affixed to the front of teeth, leaving patients with Hollywood-like smiles.
- Dental Bonding – Dental bonding is great for fixing minor issues with teeth like decay, stains, and chips. With dental bonding, we apply a tooth-colored resin to your tooth, harden it with a light, then shape, and polish it. The entire process can be performed in just one visit!
- Dental Crowns – Sometimes, you may hear a crown referred to as a cap. A dental crown is what we place over a damaged tooth to restore its strength, shape, and appearance. We’ll also place crowns on dental implants to provide shape and structure.
- Dental Implants – Dental implants offer patients a permanent way to replace missing teeth. With dental implants, we insert a small metal post into the jawbone. Once the area has healed, patients return for a second visit where they’re fitted for a custom-shaped crown. The crown is designed right in our office using CEREC technology during that same visit. After Dr. Brown is finished making the crown, she attaches it atop the metal post in the jawbone.
Why Is It Important To Have A Good Cosmetic Dentist?
As a dental patient, you want a dentist who’s skilled enough to treat any oral condition you might want to correct—including cosmetic ones.
By choosing a good cosmetic dentist, not only will you have a knowledgeable professional who can evaluate dental X-rays and perform restorative work, but you’ll also be able to get expert information on how to achieve the smile you desire. Because your cosmetic dentist will be able to “do it all,” you’ll never have to deal with the hassle of seeing one dentist for a restorative procedure, and another for a cosmetic one.
How Can I Schedule A Cosmetic Dentistry Consultation?
To reach our N. Murray Hill Road office servicing the Western Columbus area, please contact 614-878-1188. To reach our Northern location in Westerville, call 614-890-5022.